Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Past 2 weeks

Things have been a little hectic so I have not written in a little while. My apologies, although I honestly have no idea if anyone is reading this haha. I will try and work my way backwards recounting some of the more momentous events since I last posted.

This morning my host mom Alicia taught me how to kill a chicken (Some background: one of the family’s chickens decided to try and jump out of a tree and broke her leg and my mom said the right thing to do was kill it since it wasn’t going to live a normal life). She just grabbed the chicken by the neck and twisted it and there it went to bird heaven.. For those of you who know my hatred/fear of birds this was quite a happy moment. (don’t know if that is the word I mean haha). Its just one less of those stupid things to try and fly up on my chair, poop near my feet during dinner, or wake me up at 2 am. She then proceeded to dip the fresh killed chicken in hot water and the feathers came off much easier than I thought. Then she cleaned it up, cutting off its head and taking out all the internal organs. Once again I awake in the campo to some animal mutilation. I guess I’m just gunna have to get used to it.

We had a field trip to a farm in Asuncion yesterday where we learned some more about composting techniques, wormaculture and biogas. It was pretty interesting stuff and if you are interested I can supply you with some info. They also gave us some samples of food they make there and I had some of the best yogurt I’ve ever had. We were all drinking it by the cup full. The marble cake, ice cream, and chipa I ate were delicious as well. I hope we get to visit there again.

Last night a group of us went to the discoteca in Ypane (pronounced oo-pa-nay) about a 20 min walk away. We had a Paraguayan pregame in the plaza passing around glasses of beer and chatting. Then around 11 we headed over to the disco for the first of several Halloween parties this next few weeks. It was nice to dance around and hang out with everyone outside of class. This week’s disco adventure was much different than the previous week in which 20 of us piled into the back of a pickup truck with no brake line haha.

Those of some of the big things from the past few weeks. We attempted another trasiego (wild hive capture) but once again it failed and they swarmed before we could find the queen. Next week we have our tech excursion in a town about 2 hours away so I’m looking forward to that.

Yesterday marked one month in Paraguay which is strange to think about, only 26 more to go haha. Although the allure of everything shiny and new has faded away I am learning more and more about this country and becoming more comfortable with the idea of calling this place home for the next 2+ years.

No comments:

Post a Comment