Saturday, October 3, 2009

first full week in training

¡Mbaechapa! ¡Hola todos!
Once again, I write to you from an Internet café in Paraguay, this time it is not blaring reggaeton, rather Shakira. First, a minor disclaimer….I have passed my days here speaking not only English and Spanish but Guarani so if my sentences don´t make much sense, that could be why. Also, from here on out I promise to try and pre-write these entries so they are not just me rambling on about random things. No what I really came here to write…..
I´ve only been gone a week but it definitely feels like much longer. Today´s activities included watching a cow get castrated and making a garden with the 8 other volunteers in my group, and this was all by lunch time. I guess this is life in the campo (country).
My host family continues to be super awesome. I love the little ones and my padres are super chill. We just sit around the dinner table and talk about life and drink terere which is a cold tea that usually has Jujuy (medicinal herbs like mint) in it. Monday to Friday I spend my mornings in language class from 745-11:30 when we break for lunch and a siesta. Some days we have another hour of language from 1-2 and then technical classes on beekeeping and agricuture. On Wednesday, instead of technical class we head on into our main training center for health, safety, and educational sessions. Saturdays are spent in technical class in the morning and free time in the afternoon until Sunday and the week begins again on Monday with language class.
On Thursday we had our first session out in the apiary where the bees are….let´s just say it did not go as I imagined. Let me preface this next portion with this note: we received typhoid and yellow fever vaccinations on Wednesday afternoon. We arrived at the apiary at around 2 and proceded to put on our gear, fire up our smokers, and get down to business. About 30 minutes after we got to work, I start to feel lightheaded and go sit down on a nearby log. I begin to feel a bit better so i try and go back so I can keep up with the lesson but realize i really do not feel well so i run to the woods where i proceed to relieve myself from both ends to say things nicely haha. I feel completely fine now and can at least say i´ve gotten that first illness out of the way.
Thats all for now…hate to end a post on Duch a frightening note but if you could´ve been there and seen this it was hilarious, in hindsight.

Love and miss you all and i hope to hear from you soon!

Adio!

No comments:

Post a Comment